Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Unintentional flattery

A couple days ago I went out to a local dealership to test drive my new car. Alone. If you know anything about me, you know this is WAY out of my comfort zone.
I found the car myself, online. And had emailed back and forth with the internet sales guy, Mr. B. I believe we spoke on the phone for about two minutes, just to confirm the car was still available, and that I could come on my lunch and test drive the car.
I seriously had to psych myself up to walk in there alone.
Mr. B was actually busy on the phone when I first walked in, so Mr. E walked me out to the car to check it out. We looked around, poked and prodded, and he opened the hood for me to see the engine.
Hmm. No huge gaping holes under the hood, so it looked good to me. I may have helped Cory tear down an engine a few weeks ago, but it is all still foreign to me.
We close up the hood and he sat me in the driver's seat, fixing the seat for me. We decide to go ahead on the test drive without Mr. B, because he is not done with his phone call.
We started out on the test drive and he turned me into butter in his hands.
Mr. E: So when do you graduate?
Me: What?
Mr. E: Graduate? When do you finish college?
Me: ... *shock* then *exaltation*
Note: now, to be fair, I had on huge black sunglasses, and a local university t-shirt and jeans. So this guy is not mentally handicapped. At least, that is what I am telling myself.
Me: Um I graduated college in '01.
Mr. E: Oh. Sorry, you know, you aren't dressed for an office job... *trails off*
Later we are discussing the back seat and I mention my three-year-old's booster seat. Then I say something about how my husband works on cars and our garage.
Mr. E: If you don't mind me asking, how old ARE you?
Me: Ha. Twenty-nine.
Mr. E: Wow, really?
Oh lie to me Used Car Salesman, I don't care, I want to hear this, I NEED to hear this!
Mr. E: No way, you look like you are in college...
Oh my, you know how to sell a car, don't you?
And what can I say? I bought the car.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Be... erm, nice. My fragile ego can't take too much honesty. Seriously though, I do love comments. Please tell me what you think!