Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Team building or some such

I had a blast Friday. Instead of hunkering down in my office (which by the way has no AC at the moment) my team and I headed off to visit Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill. We had an absolute blast.
I got into work normally that morning, closed up a few jobs and basically readied everything for my absence.
Then around 10:30, our transportation arrived, a stretch limo! It was so cool. We immediately stopped and got necessities, bottled water:) Then we started off on our trip.
I have been to Shaker Village before, back when I was in elementary school, and more recently to enjoy their restaurant. But I could remember nothing about it, so everything seemed fresh and new. Plus I saw it all from a whole new perspective because the Shakers were celibate. I can see that not really sinking in as a child.
We arrived and immediately took care of the most urgent need. We ate lunch. It was really yum, I had a ribeye sandwich and we followed it up by sharing a few pieces of lemon and chess pie. I must try to make chess pie, it was to die for.
After lunch we visited the gift shop to check out all the wares and also purchase our tickets for everything. Then we headed out on the walking tour. We were able to walk in and out each of the houses that they have worked to restore and maintain. Plus, since Keeneland was going on, there was NO ONE there! It was awesome, we had all of the historians’ attentions and we walked in and out of places with no lines. It was great, and well played on our part because we had a chance to go to Keeneland and we picked Shaker Village instead!
We walked from one end of main street to the other, then back again just in time to make our horse carriage ride. Our driver was extremely knowledgable, filling us in on even more history of the Shakers, even telling us there are still three official signed Shakers in Maine.
The weather was perfect, sunny and breezy. Really the perfect combo.
We headed home late in the afternoon after we got more bottled water and snacks! It was really an inspiring day, I feel refreshed and encouraged. I feel like it recharged my creative batteries, and I believe it really boosted moral for my team. See a few more pictures of our adventures here on my Album Page.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Be... erm, nice. My fragile ego can't take too much honesty. Seriously though, I do love comments. Please tell me what you think!